Since you’re home, with all the kids, with nowhere to go + all the time to get there– let’s talk about laundry! I bet it’s piling up or at least it is at my house. Laundry detergent and cleaners can get VERY costly, especially when you’re doing laundry for 6 people. It can also be a huge hormone disruptor. All those chemicals all over your clothes and then all over your body, you’ll be amazed at the difference making this simple swap can make!
There’s no need for baby detergents + adult detergents + bleach… none of that!
Here are so all-natural, inexpensive ways to clean your laundry:
You’re never going to believe this, but just try it. I promise this works! Ditch your laundry detergent + add 1 cup of baking soda (in the powder tray) to wash! Drop some essential oils on into the baking soda + BAM! This is an easy swap to make + will save you lots of money.
My favorite oils to add are lemongrass, peppermint or grapefruit. All of them smell clean and fresh! If you want a full guide on which oils to get, check this out!
If you’re liking liquid detergent, doTERRA makes an On Guard Laundry Detergent that I use too. It’s a concentrate so a little goes a long way!
Stain Stick // How To Treat Different Stains:
- Ink or Paint Stains: Soak in rubbing alcohol for 30 minutes or (ink only) spray with hair spray and wash out.
- Tea or Coffee Stains: Immediately pour boiling water over the stain until it is gone, or if it is already set, scrub with a paste of borax and water and wash immediately.
- Grass Stains: Scrub with liquid dish soap or treat with a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide (3%) and water mix
- Mud Stains: Let dry and brush off what you can, then scrub with a borax/water paste and wash immediately
- Tomato-Based Stains: Treat with white vinegar directly on the stain and wash immediately.
- Dingy Whites or Underarm Deodorant Stains: Soak the stain directly in a mix of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water for 30 minutes and then add 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide to the wash water. For really tough yellow stains, make a paste of 3% hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and rub into the stain. Leave on for 5 minutes before laundering.
- Other Food Stains: Treat with a mix of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water and soak.
- Grease and Oil Stains: Sprinkle the stain with dry baking soda to remove any loose oil or grease and brush off. Then, soak in undiluted white vinegar for 15 minutes, rinse and scrub with liquid dish soap before washing
- Vomit, Urine, Poop, Blood, Egg, Gelatin, Glue, or Other Protein-Based Stains: DO NOT WASH IN WARM WATER!!!!! This will set in the smell. Soak in cool water and then wash with an added mixture of 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 cup baking soda in the washing machine.
Instead of dryer sheets, ditch them for some wool balls! These are way more ecofriendly and they don’t leave your clothes stiff + waxy. Drop a couple drops of oil directly onto the balls + toss them in the dryer. Your clothes will come out fresh as a daisy!
I like to match my scents, whatever I use in the washer, I also use on my dryer balls, but you can’t go wrong here!